OK, it’s really clean this time.
I was overjoyed yesterday when I pulled up my site and found that it had been blacklisted as an attack site. Yay.
After the last incident, I simply rebuilt the blog, but the new data suggested that the site had been compromised via a plugin that was still there from last time.
So, just to clean things up, I duplicated all my data to a virtual server I spun up just for the occasion and rebuilt the entire web server. It was time to do this anyway – the OS was a few years old and toward the end of the support cycle.
The blacklist turned out to be via Google – so I loaded up their webmaster tools and finally found the malware review link. Before submitting a request, I had the site scanned by several different security tools. Once I was satisfied, I put in the request. Happily, today it’s back off the blacklist. Thank you to the internet jerks who made sure I spent an entire morning rebuilding the server. It needed to be done anyway, but I would have preferred to kick it off in the background while I’m at work rather than on my precious Saturday!