How-To: Mediatomb, Mac and DirecTV HDPVR
I finally had a chance to get Mediatomb (a uPnP media server) working from my powermac. Now it’s happily serving up video to my DirecTV HR20/21s. Given a fresh install of leopard, here’s what you need to do….
- Install Xcode tools – you can get em off your install discs or from developer.apple.com.
- Install mac ports.
- Open a new terminal and run sudo ports install mediatomb
- Now run sudo ports deactivate mediatomb
- Download the mediatomb code via cvs: In a terminal run:
svn co https://svn.mediatomb.cc/svnroot/mediatomb/trunk/mediatomb mediatomb
- In terminal, “cd mediatomb” to get into the directory of code you just pulled down.
- In terminal run “./configure”, then run make and “sudo make install”.
- run “mediatomb” to set up the database and create the initial config.
- in terminal, “cd” then “cd .mediatomb”, then “ls”.You’ll see a list of config files. Edit config.xml with your favorite editor.
- Follow the instructions in the mediatomb wiki for the HR2x DVRs to edit the config.
- Download and install VLC if you don’t already have it.
- Edit config.xml once more and replace the lines with <agent command=”vlc” with <agent command=”/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC”
- Run mediatomb, add your media with your web browser and go watch some video.