Espresso Repair: Pressurestat
I finally got around to replacing the pressure stat in my ECM Giotto this week. The hardest part was removing the old P-stat without small wrenches. I finally settled for using a crescent wrench on the pipe and a pair of channel lock pliers to grip the metal lower where it crimps around the body of the pressure stat. Ideally, you’ll need a pair of thin metric wrenches to remove and re-install a pressure stat.
Along with the pressure stat, I also replaced the lever gasket. I lubed everything with food safe grease (from chris coffee service) and swapped out the seal. Now the lever turns nice and easy – no more squeaks!
I had a couple of overpressure events after the replacement, but some quick adjustment took care of things. I also removed the divider plate that used to separate the boiler from the water reservoir. (mine is plumbed in now) Without the plate, the pressure stat is now reachable by simply removing the former reservoir cover.
It just occured to me that I now have enough room inside the body to mount either a PID controller or some other controller if I decide to do away with the pressure stat entirely later on. By hiding them under the cover,the classic look of the machine would be preserved – this was my major hangup in the past.